All about FSSAI Registration



Every individual or Food Business Operator who is any way related to manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution of food product must compulsorily obtain FSSAI Registration or License.

In India, registration or licensing of the food business is governed by the Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011. Whether you have to obtain a FSSAI registration or FSSAI License depends upon the size and nature of your business. 

B) Criteria for deciding applicable registration (Central Licence/ State License/ Basic Registration)

There are two criteria of deciding that which registration is applicable on your business.

  1. Turnover based registration.- Depending upon the turnover, the department prescribed limits for applicability of relevant registration i.e central/ state /basic registration.
  2. Specific registration– In few businesses, department specify the particular registration irrespective of their turnover.
  3. Office in more than one state – If there are more than one operational unit, that we have to apply an extra central license for the head office and other relevant license for other branch offices.

C) Types of FSSAI Registration

  1. Central License– Apart from turnover criteria, food business operators such as the large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, Importers, 100% Export Oriented Units, airports, seaports etc. are however required to obtain a Central Food License.
  2. State License– Food business operators like marketers, distributors, small to medium sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, etc. are however required to obtain the FSSAI State License. The State License is issued by the State Government. State government allows you to perform operations in only 1 state. It is thus mostly for the units having an annual turnover of more than 12 lakh.
  3. Basic Registration: The Food business operators like also the retailers, marketers, small-sized manufacturers, storage units, distributors, transporters and petty food. Registration are mainly required in case of turnover not exceeding 12 lakh per annum.

D) Street Vendors or Mobile Food Vendors

 Mobile Vendors are defined under Section 2(1)(n) of the Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Act, 2014 (the “Street Vendors Act”) as self-contained food service operation, located in a readily movable motorized wheeled or towed vehicle, used to store, prepare, display or serve food intended for individual portion service.

All Mobile Food vendors/ltinerant, Hawkers are required to take “basic registration” irrespective of their turnover. Apart from FSSAI registration Mobile Food vendors also have to take NOC from local authority to run the business. 

E) Procedure for obtaining FSSAI Basic Registration

  1. This registration can be obtained by submitting an application to food and Safety Department.
  2. The application shall be submitted in Form A with other documents.
  3. The registration certificate granted by the Department after accepting the application shall contain the registration number.
  4. At the time of carrying on the food business, the Food Business Operator should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business.

F) Documents required to obtain FSSAI License

  1. Declaration form.
  2. Authority letter.
  3. Copy of PAN card and Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Proprietor/ Partners/ Director.
  4. Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
  5. Other documents depending upon type of registration.

G) Renewal of Registration

FSSAI License/ Registration can be applied maximum for 5 years. The application has to be renewed two months prior to the date of expiration by paying the FSSAI Fee. In case of failure to get renew on time, we have to apply fresh or pay penalty.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *